Sunday, August 23, 2009

A cool day in August?

It's the middle of August and we just had a cold front swing through, and amazingly the morning has a uncharacteristic chill, the air crisp and clean, and the butterflies hurrying to finish Summer. While at my laptop this morning I spotted a flock of vultures perched in the broken tree's, still left over from Katrina, eyeing something dead in the road. Easily twenty turkey buzzards bickered over a carcass that was run-over last night.

Thank goodness for buzzards or we'd be smelling rotting flesh for a long time. I can remember after Katrina there were no birds, no frogs, no insects....nothing, and the smell of rotting meat lingered for weeks. I think in the years since the buzzard population has exploded here, and I think they hang out mostly at my house since I have two tall cell phone towers that are behind my property. I can remember peering out of my FEMA trailer window back in 2006 and seeing 100 buzzards perched up on a dead pine tree behind us.
Thankfully, it's better four years later as the birds, the insects (although the species have changed), the frogs (more toads than frogs), and all the other creeping crawlies have repopulated. The forest around my home are broken, denuded, and their canopies empty revealing a open blue sky. It will take a century to restore what existed before that storm, and only if we are not hit again, and this seems unlikely to me since the climate seems to be in turmoil. It's just my observation. Today's weather is another demonstration....cool in August? Record highs in June? Topsy turvie weather indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment