Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Road kill for survival

Last night my white rabbit, the tomato rabbit from the video, jumped out into a car speeding down the road. He was hit in the head, not run over, and not mutilated in any way, so I came out to inspect his still warm body. So much for my favorite "free" living bunny, but seeing opportunity I picked up the body and skinned it. Cutting off the head first, than the feet and proceeding to deglove the skin, I gutted it and cleaned up the meat. Gutting out the intestines wasn't exactly pleasant. Took only 30 minutes and now I had a fine meal, and I didn't even have to do the slaughter - which I hate to do. Damn bunnies are so cute.

Anyway, I admired my handy work while taking the time to spread the fur out to dry. The mosquitoes were tearing me up while I worked well past my pre-work bedtime, but I had to get everything finished without letting the meat spoil. I bagged the rabbit up and stuck it in the refrigerator for "tonight's" dinner. I looked up some of my favorite rabbit recipes and set about basting the rabbit with seasons and olive oil as soon as I got in from work. Set the oven to 325 degrees and baked for 1 hr. YUMMY!


The moral of this story is to always look for opportunity in a survival situation. I can't stress that enough. A survivor looks for food from all available sources, conventional and unconventional, and road kill; assuming the meat hasn't spoiled and turned rancid, is as good as any source. We must learn from nature, and that lesson is that nature doesn't waste anything and neither should we.

No comments:

Post a Comment